- Summer (March- June) &amp;amp; Autumn (Sept- December)
The Kopra Ridge Trek is a fantastic short trek that lets you trudge along the trails of the Annapurna region. It packs breathtaking mountain views, exotic wildlife, varying landscapes, and a mixture of culture into one trek.
You can catch glimpses of famous snow-capped peaks such as Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Annapurna I, and more all along the way. On reaching the ridge itself, you will witness the stunning 360° view, where the mountains seem to almost loom closer. The mesmerizing sunrises you’ll see over Poonhill, Ghorepani and Kopra Danda is sure to be something you will remember forever.
The trek itself will include about 6 days of walking and 10 days in total. Right from the get-go, prepare to feel transported as you walk along vast, green farmlands and cross suspension bridges over fast-flowing rivers. You will also be walking through lush oak and rhododendron forests right in the heart of nature.
Greenery aside, you will get to trek up to Khayer Lake. All along the way are shrines of cultural significance to both Hindus and Buddhists. You will be passing through multiple settlements and get a great look into the everyday lives of people in this region. You will also get to see local shepherds out with their cattle and possibly spot our national bird: Danphe.
The best time to go on this trek is Spring and Autumn. You don’t need any prior trekking experience as this is an easy to moderate trek. We recommend avoiding these trails during monsoon as it does include some steep climbs that might be slippery. The views will also be much clearer during summer and autumn.
With Nepal Social Treks & Expedition, our well trained professional guides are ready to lead you on these trails expertly. Whether you are craving history, culture, or aesthetic beauty, our guides have their stories of the land you trek on. We also have our first-aid kits and a team of porters ready to ensure that this trek is a breeze.
For a trek that combines stunning visuals, holy sites, and diverse cultural beauty, the Kopra Ridge Trek will be a perfect choice.
Why You’ll Love Kopra Ridge Trek
- Panoramic views of Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Annapurna I, and some other peaks
- Trekking up to Khayer Lake, a lake that holds considerable spiritual significance for Hindus
- Breathtaking 360° view from Kopra ridge
- Relaxing in the natural hot springs of Tatopani
- Following trails through thick oak and rhododendron forests
- Sunrise from Poonhill (3210M) with breathtaking 360° views
- Experience the Gurung cultures.
- Short and easy trek for beginners.
IsKopra Ridge Trek Right For You?
- You will be walking for 4-6 hours per day for about a week. If you are not very active, you might want to consider some physical and mental preparation in advance.
- While this trek is of moderate difficulty, we recommend maintaining some degree of physical fitness before going on this trip.
- The lodges in the more remote areas have only the necessary amenities. Rest assured, you will have clean and comfortable rooms and hygienic food. Still, you may need to bring any additional materials on your own.
- The elevation on this trek crosses 4500m as we will be crossing very high passes. So there is a risk of altitude sickness. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you need to seek medical advice before booking this trek. However, we have a comprehensive first aid kit and a trained staff on board to take care of your safety.
Day to Day Itinerary Table – Kopra Ridge Trek
|Day||Itinerary||Altitude (m)||Duration (hours)|
|1||Arrival in Kathmandu||1400||-|
|2||Kathmandu to Pokhara (Flight), Pokhara to Tirkhedhunga (Trek)||1488||2|
|3||Tirkhedhunga to Ghorepani (Trek)||2875||2020-04-05 00:00:00|
|4||Ghorepani to Upper Chistibung (Trek)||3000||2020-05-06 00:00:00|
|5||Upper Chistibung to Kopra Danda (Trek)||3640||3|
|6||Rest day in Kopra Danda, Day-trip to Khayer Lake||3640 - 4660m||2020-07-08 00:00:00|
|7||Kopra Danda to Tatopani (Trek)||1250||2020-04-05 00:00:00|
|8||Tatopani to Pokhara (Drive)||815||4|
|9||Pokhara to Kathmandu (Flight)||1400||1|
- We recommend that you carry a universal adapter for your charging needs. We will be trekking to remote places where you might not find the exact match. You can also purchase this in shops at Kathmandu itself.
- As the weather can be unreliable, you should also pack a down jacket to protect you even if it gets too cold or rains.
- Remember to have some cash ready for your purchases as ATMs and credit card acceptance are scarce in higher altitudes.
- You might need to carry some passport size photographs for your permits.
Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP)
This permit is a must for the Kopra Ridge Trek. This permit’s cost remains the same no matter how long you spend in this area or whatever time of year you choose to travel. It will cost you USD 30 per person. You might need to carry a printed photograph, so be sure to have that handy.
Once you obtain this permit, you will also need to get a TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System) as it is mandatory for all trekkers.
Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) Card
This permit is mandatory for all trekkers traveling in Nepal. To obtain this permit, you will need to carry some passport size photographs and also a photocopy of your passport. The costs are detailed as follows:
- USD 20 for individual trekkers
- USD 10 for trekkers in groups
- USD 6 for individual trekkers from SAARC countries
- USD 3 for group trekkers from SAARC countries
Kopra Ridge Trek Itinerary (10 Days)
Once you land at Tribhuvan International Airport, our representative will be ready to pick you up. They will escort you to your hotel, where our staff will help you with the check-in processes. Once you check into the hotel, you will receive the itinerary briefing. In the evening, you will be having a warm and hearty welcome dinner. The first night is all about resting up and gearing for your trek.
- Hassle-free airport pick-up
- A detailed explanation of the day-to-day itinerary
- Warm and hearty welcome dinner
Make sure to listen attentively when our staff explains the day-to-day itinerary for you. You will get a good idea of what to expect during the trip and the packing list, foods to expect, and more. It will also help you make sure to double-check that you have not forgotten to pack anything essential. In case you want to leave some luggage at the hotel, we recommend you make sure your trekking supplies are in order before heading out on the trek.
Early morning, you will be getting on a plane, leaving Kathmandu behind. The flight will only take about half an hour and promises to be a visual treat. You will be soaring above the valley below and witnessing the majestic, inviting snow-capped mountains.
Once we land, we are ready to begin our trek. Immediately, you will feel the difference in the air itself. As you trek on, you will be treated with greenery as far as your eyes can see. You will also be cheered on by the peaks you see at a distance. You will mostly be trekking alongside vast farmlands and crossing a few suspension bridges.
You might find that the roads tend to be dustier at some locations, but even this just adds to the authentic, off-beaten paths. After a couple of hours of walking, you will be reaching Tikhedhunga. Tikhedhunga is a small but lively mountain village located on the riverside. The trek from this point tends to get more strenuous, so most travelers like to rest up once they reach this village. However, you can still choose to explore and mingle with the locals.
- Short and scenic flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara
- Scenic 1 hour drive from Pokhara to Nayapul
- Trekking along vast, green farmlands and crossing suspension bridges
- Stopping at the gorgeous village of Tikhedhunga
On this day’s trek, we will be trekking up to Ghorepani. Once you’ve had a hearty breakfast, you will head out and immediately reach an incline. You will be following this uphill climb until you reach Ulleri.
Ulleri is a largely Magar village located at a hilltop. It offers a great view of the green valley below. If you look at the horizon, you will begin to see peaks like Annapurna and Machhapuchhre peeking through.
This hilltop is a great place to pause for a cup of tea. You will get to enjoy a scenic break before joining the trail again. The trail treats you with nature’s embrace by taking you through a thick, oak, and rhododendron rainforest. The tall trees will provide ample shade as you admire the deep green and bright red colors of nature.
You will be walking for about 4-5 hours before reaching Ghorepani. It is an excellent viewpoint that allows you to enjoy a panoramic view of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain range.
- Navigating steep inclines over hillsides
- Enjoying a scenic view of the valley from Ulleri
- Trekking through dense oak and rhododendron rainforests
- The mesmerizing view of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain range from Ghorepani
- Sunset views from Poonhill 3210M
At Ghorepani, there will be a checkpost to verify that you are carrying the required permits for this trek. We have included the details of these permits below in our Permits Required section. Please ensure that you are carrying both the ACAP permit as well as the TIMS card.
Early morning, you will witness a stunning sunrise over the mountains from Poonhill. Once you’ve snapped your pictures and enjoyed your breakfast with a view, we are ready to head back out. After yesterday’s trek through thick forests, today’s walk will feel like an entirely different experience.
You will be walking along a grassy slope that takes you through vast pasture lands. You will get to see many local shepherds out with their herds, going about their day-to-day lives. There are also plenty of herder’s huts and a good possibility of spotting Danphe (the national bird of Nepal). This day’s trek also includes some uphill climbs and about 5-6 hours of walking to reach Upper Chistibung.
- Admiring a magnificent sunrise from Poonhill
- Trekking along vast, green pastures
- Getting to see local shepherds in their daily routines with their herds
- High chances of spotting the beautiful national bird: Danphe
On this day’s trek, you will be following a steady incline. Today, you will find yourself amidst alpine meadows and vast stretches of green pastures like yesterday’s trek. You will see the tip of Annapurna South inviting and cheering you to get a better look throughout the day.
Once you reach Kopra Danda, you will learn just how majestic this view can be. Not just Annapurna South, but Mount Dhaulagiri, Fang, and Nilgiri eager to mesmerize you. You will be stopping for lunch here, although the sights here are sure to fill your hearts already. After this, you will be walking down the Kopra Ridge. Here, you will get to admire the world’s deepest gorge, the Kali Gandaki gorge.
- Walking along alpine meadows and vast green pastures
- Stunning visuals of Mount Dhaulagiri, Fang, Nilgiri, and Annapurna South
- Witnessing the natural beauty of Kopra Ridge
- Admiring the world’s deepest gorge, the Kali Gandaki gorge
Since we will be reaching elevations over 3500m on this day, there can be some risk of altitude sickness. The risk entirely depends on the individual. However, we have our first-aid kit ready for any situation. We urge you to make sure that if you feel any strain or shortness of breath, please inform our guide so that they can take the necessary measures to make sure you are safe. You will only be walking for 3 hours on this day so as not to overexert yourself.
One evening is simply not enough to properly appreciate the beauty of this place. Therefore, we have included this extra day for exploration. First, you will be enjoying the breathtaking 360° view from this ridge. You will feel like you are on top of the world as you witness the majestic mountains appear to be an arm’s stretch away.
You will then be taking an excursion trip up to Khayer Lake, considered to be sacred by the Hindus. You will encounter many small Hindu and Buddhist shrines on your hike to this lake. The hike can be quite challenging considering both the altitude as well as the distance. You can expect to be walking for 7-8 hours on this day.
However, you will get to reach this pristine and untouched lake. It is said that a bath in the waters of this lake will help you attain Nirvana. While enjoying the waters of this sacred lake, the snowy giants Annapurna, Fang, Dhaulagiri, and Nilgiri will provide an excellent backdrop.
Another interesting tidbit about this lake is that locals gather here in their traditional dresses during the full moon of August. It is believed that praying to the goddess at this lake will help grant all your wishes. Once you finish making your wishes, witnessing the holy lake, and taking tons of pictures, we will be trekking back Kopra Danda.
- Enjoying the stunning 360° view of the Kopra ridge
- Hiking up to Khayer Lake which has huge spiritual significance
- Panoramic views of Annapurna, Fang, Dhaulagiri, and Nilgiri mountain peaks
- Trekking by many smaller shrines and understanding the cultural significance of Khayer Lake
On this day, you will be turning your backs to Kopra Danda and descending. You will be walking for 4-5 hours. First, you will reach Paudwar, a small village where you’ll be stopping to have lunch. After lunch, you will be continuing your hike down to Tatopani. The name literally translates to ‘hot water’ in Nepali. You can spend your time dipping into the natural hot springs and relaxing your tired muscles. Here, you can enjoy natural spa therapy like no other.
- Enjoying the relaxing dip in the natural hot springs of Tatopani
Early morning after breakfast, you will be getting on a private jeep back to Pokhara. You can sit back and enjoy the scenery outside your window. You will be driving through Beni and noticing the rolling hills and small settlements turn to cityscapes. The drive will take about 4 hours, where you can relive your trip through your camera roll.
Once you arrive at Pokhara, you can spend the rest of your day exploring this lakeside city. You can choose to unwind by the lake or celebrate your successful trek by immersing in the nightlife.
- Comfortable and scenic drive to Pokhara.
- Free rest of the day to explore the lakeside town.
On this day, we will be completing our trip and catching a flight back to Kathmandu. The flight should only take you about half an hour. After this, you have the rest of the day to do some sightseeing or simply rest up. We have planned a wonderful dinner and a cultural show for your last evening in Nepal.
- A comfortable and short flight to Kathmandu
- Free rest of the day to explore the capital city.
And just like that, you have reached the end of your trip. Our representative will be taking you to Tribhuvan International Airport for your departure. Bidding you a safe journey, a camera full of memories, we hope to see you again.
Kopra Ridge Trek Cost
The Cost Include(s)
- Private Arrival & Departure transfers on both international and domestic flights,
- Assistance for the trekking gears and the shopping for the trekking equipment if required,
- Welcome dinner in Kathmandu.
- Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu flight.
- Full board meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) during trekking,
- 3-star Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara on B/B basis,
- Accommodation in teahouse/lodge during trekking,
- All private overland transports included in the itinerary.
- Nepal Social Treks Gears – sleeping bag, duffel bag for the use during the trip,
- Professional local guide with extensive experience,
- Annapurna conservation area Project fees (USD30) and TIMS (USD10).
- First Aid Kit Comprehensive,
- Necessary Porters to carry all personal gear and group equipment (1 porter per 2 trekkers),
- Insurance for all staff including porters,
- Assistance to evacuation in case of any kind of emergency
- Kopra Ridge Trek map
- Nepal government tax and service fees.
The Cost Exclude(s)
- Any bottled drinks other than tea and coffee.
- Personal insurance for emergency evacuation during trekking or climbing.
- International airfare and airport taxes, excess baggage charges,
- Valid Travel Insurance with Medical evacuation in case of emergency,
- Nepal entry visa fees
- Any personal gear for trekking.
- Any tips or gratuities for the staff.
Higher Success Rates
Experience speaks. Nepal Social Treks boasts a consistent delivery, which is evident by the 300+ treks we have been conducting every year. The glowing reviews on our site left by satisfied travelers speak for themselves. We bring a highly qualified team to these terrains and are confident in delivering nothing short of excellence.
The itinerary for the Kopra Ridge Trek will suit you as the traveler. The pacing and acclimatization are all mapped out to ensure that you can get an authentic trekking experience without any unnecessary strain on your body.
Well Qualified Teams
A brand is nothing without a team of dedicated and reliable team members. We are proud to showcase our guides with years of hands-on experience in the field. Their dedication has allowed us to boast a 99% success rate in all our treks. Our guides and porters will make sure your trip encompasses visual beauty and the rich stories about the traversing lands.
Excellent Food and Accommodation Facilities
We understand that health can be a concerning factor when planning to head to these remote locations. We ensure absolutely zero compromises when it comes to the health and safety of our clients. Our itinerary includes three healthy meals every day of the trek that fulfills every hygiene and taste requirements. Similarly, we ensure comfort all along the trek with comfortable mattresses in camps or hotels and lodges.
We understand that as you trek to higher altitudes and challenging terrain, you might be wondering what technology we have on board. We always make sure that we have the most advanced technology onboard for any weather forecasting. Our guides will also ensure high-technology usage for team communication.
FAQs about Kopra Ridge Trek
For most treks, including this one, Spring and Autumn are the best seasons to travel. The skies are likely to be much clearer and give you an unobstructed view of the snow-capped peaks. Especially on this trek, mountains like Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, and Annapurna, I are visible throughout the trek. Similarly, there is less chance of rainfall, so you can trek for long hours without worrying about any slippery trails.
Yes. This trail is easy to moderately difficult, so it will only need you to ensure you are healthy and living a mostly active lifestyle. Please note, you will be walking for 4-6 hours a day, so you at least want to ensure that you prepare for this with exercises like hiking, cycling, swimming, and jogging. These cardio-oriented activities should help you prepare for this upcoming trek. We recommend at least a few weeks of active physical activity prior to this trek.
The highest point on this trek is at 4500m. At this elevation, there is a good possibility of getting altitude sickness. However, rest assured that we have designed the itinerary to make sure you are paced well with plenty of breaks. You should be able to follow the trek with ease. In case you do experience any discomfort, our first-aid kit and our trained staff will properly take care of you.
You will have plenty of options for ATM and credit card facilities in Kathmandu and Pokhara. However, as we trek into more remote villages and higher altitudes, these will be non-existent. We recommend that you carry the necessary cash for any purchases in these areas. Additionally, we recommend that you exchange all your foreign currency into local money. As we trek into these villages, you are unlikely to find many places that accept foreign currency.
Your health and safety have always been our number one priority. As such, we will be ensuring clean drinking water throughout the trek. Bottled water will also be available for purchase. All the lodges on this Kopra Ridge Trek provide safe drinking water.
We strongly suggest you refrain from drinking tap water as your stomach might not have adjusted to the local water. For your safety, only drink bottled water or properly filtered water. Additionally, we recommend carrying water purifying tablets for proper safety.
Yes. We recommend that you purchase travel insurance in your country before coming on this trek. Nepal Social Treks only covers the insurance for our staff. Please make sure that your insurance covers you for high altitude trekking.
The trek package includes porters (1 porter per 2 trekkers). If you feel like you need personal porter help for your bags as you want to focus on the trek and enjoy the view itself, we have you covered. Typically, a porter can carry about 20kg in weight, which includes their own backpack as well.
Kopra ridge trek is a trek of moderate difficulty. It takes you through steep inclines, uneven terrains, and off-beaten paths. The weather can also be unreliable, so it is in your best interest to keep yourself prepared for any situation. Therefore, we have created the following list of trekking gear for you to double-check before your trek:
Waterproof jacket for unexpected rains
Comfortable trekking shorts for walking in hot weather
High-quality hiking socks and thermal socks.
Light fleece jacket for warmer areas
High-quality down jacket in case of extreme weather conditions
Breathable trekking shirts, both half and full sleeves
Water and wind-resistant trekking trousers
Inner and Outer gloves
Good quality sleeping bag
Camera and portable chargers
UV protection sunglasses
At least one thermal layer for colder conditions
Comfortable, worn-in hiking boots.
Sandals for leisurely walking.
Sun protection hat
Beanie or headband
Hand sanitizers, sunscreen, lip balm
Water bottle and water purification tablets
Any prescription medications