Everest Base Camp (EBC) Trek is a classic trekking adventure in the foothills of the world’s highest mountain, Mount Everest. Trudging along the rugged trails of the Himalayas, decorated with mountains and landscapes, this trek is undoubtedly one of the best walks on earth.
Regarded as the most popular trek in Nepal, Everest Base Camp Trek extends for 15 days. Along the way, you’ll get to marvel at some of the world’s highest massifs, including Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Ama Dablam, Thamserku, Cho Oyu, Pumori, Nuptse, and Makalu. Not only that, but this trek combines the glorious glimpses of the Himalayas with the iconic culture of the Sherpas. You’ll also get to witness their rustic lifestyle and a taste of their famed hospitality.
The journey to Everest Base Camp begins with one of the most unforgettable flights from Kathmandu to the airstrip of Lukla. You’ll walk through several Sherpa settlements, including Namche, Tengboche, Dingboche, and Gorak Shep, before reaching the base of the world’s highest mountain. The entire trail of the EBC Trek is adorned with breathtaking sceneries, ancient monasteries, prosperous villages, chortens, prayer flags, and mani walls.
In the villages of the Everest region, you will encounter the day-to-day lifestyle of the Sherpa tribes and their practices of Tibetan Buddhism. The trek also combines the spiritual experience as you will be visiting the ancient monasteries of Khumjung and Tengboche.
Moreover, this trek also takes you to the world’s most famous viewpoint, Kala Patthar. At an elevation of 5,643 meters, Kala Patthar marks as the highest landmark of the trek. From the summit, you get to relish a 360-degree panorama of the mountains, including Mt. Everest, Pumori, Lingtren, Nuptse, and Changtse. Also, you will get the opportunity to witness the most epic sunrise of your lifetime emerging over the high Himalayas.
Our 15-days Everest Base Camp Trek is an excellent choice for travelers who are keen to experience the Himalayas most authentically. This Everest Base Camp itinerary is thoughtfully designed with proper acclimatization days to ensure once in a lifetime experience.
Why You’ll Love This Trek!
- Experience the adventuresome flight to Lukla Airport, one of the most extreme airports in the world
- Stand at the base of the world’s highest mountain — Mt. Everest.
- Take a walk along with the shades of four 8000 meter mountains — Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, and Makalu.
- Explore the bustling Sherpa capital of Namche Bazaar
- Witness the 360-degree panorama of the world’s highest mountains from Kala Patthar
- Marvel at the breathtaking sight of Khumbu Icefall and Khumbu Glacier
- Visit the largest monastery of the Khumbu region at Tengboche and enjoy the surrounding spectacles of the Himalayas.
- Witness the rustic lifestyle and unique culture of Sherpas
Is Everest Base Camp Trek Right For You?
- Everest Base Camp Trek is not a luxurious holiday package. It demands both physical as well as mental preparedness. Therefore, if you have prior hiking experience in the mountains or hilly terrains, you’ll be able to complete this trek.
- In the EBC Trek, you will have to walk for about five to six hours every single day. So, if you think you’ll be able to take on the challenge for almost two weeks, you’ll be able to pull this through. It is advisable to go for small hikes and engage in cardio-related activities to train for the trek.
- Each day, you’ll be gaining about 300 to 700 meters elevation in this trek. Make sure your body and mind can cope with the increasing altitude. If you do not have prior trekking experience, it is recommended to go on a lower altitude trek before this adventure.
- During the trek, you will be spending your nights at the local tea houses that offer basic facilities only. The rooms are not comfortable and luxurious, like the hotels around the city area. However, they are relatively clean, cozy, and comfortable.
- The weather in the Himalayas can be unpredictable, especially in the upper reaches of the trek. In worse scenarios, you might have to go through cold weather and snowy conditions on the higher altitudes. Make sure you can cope with such challenges. Additionally, we recommend you pack layers and weather protection, even if you’re trekking in the summer season.
Required Permit for Everest Base Camp Trek
For Everest Base Camp Trek, you’ll need to acquire two different permits — Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit and Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit.
Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit
Where to obtain: Lukla and National Park Entrance Gate in Monjo
How much does it cost: NPR 2,000 per person
Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit
Where to obtain: Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu and National Park Entrance Gate in Monjo
How much does it cost: NPR 3,000 per person
15 Days Everest Base Camp Trek Itinerary
|Day||Description||Altitude (Meters)||Trekking Duration|
|1||rrival in Kathmandu. Meet at Airport and Transfer to Hotel||1,350||N/A|
|2||Morning Flight to Lukla (2,840m) and Trek to Phakding||2,610||4 hours|
|3||Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar||3,440||6 hours|
|4||Acclimatization Day at Namche Bazaar||3,440||N/A|
|5||Trek from Namche Bazaar to Tengboche||3,860||5 hours|
|6||Trek from Tengboche to Dingboche||4,410||5 hours|
|7||Acclimatization Day at Dingboche||4,410||N/A|
|8||Trek from Dingboche to Lobuche||4,910||4.5 hours|
|9||Trek from Lobuche to Gorak Shep and Excursion to Everest Base Camp (5,364m)||5,140||7 hours|
|10||Morning Hike to Kala Patthar (5,643m) and Trek to Pheriche||4,270||8 hours|
|11||Trek from Pheriche to Tengboche||3,860||5 hours|
|12||Trek from Tengboche to Namche Bazaar||3,440||5 hours|
|13||Trek from Namche Bazaar to Lukla||2,840||6 hours|
|14||Fly from Lukla to Kathmandu||1,350||40 mins|
- Make sure to carry enough cash for your additional expenses in the Everest Base Camp Trek. We recommend you to dispense enough cash for the entire trek and exchange them in local currency for your convenience. If you forget to dispense money from the ATM or exchange them in local currency in Kathmandu, you can also do it at Namche Bazaar.
- Bear in mind. Your trekking guide may, at times, decide to delay or alter the standard itinerary to help you achieve success on the trek in case your health condition is not fit enough.
- We encourage you to carry a photocopy of your passport and a few passport size photographs as you may need them while acquiring the trekking permits.
- As solar power is the only source of electricity in Everest Base Camp Trek, the electricity may not be reliable all the time. Therefore, we recommend you to carry a portable charger to be safe whatsoever.
- We highly recommend you to carry a universal travel adaptor to charge your mobile phone or camera as the charging sockets in the teahouses may not be of the exact match with your charger.
- A month prior to the Everest Base Camp Trek, we highly advise you to engage in cardio-oriented exercises, such as swimming, hiking, running, biking, and jogging to stay physically fit for the trek.