5,643m at Kala Patthar
Hotels and Teahouses
5-6 hours per day
Autumn and Spring
Minimum 2 People
Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is one of the most comprehensive trekking destinations in the heart of the Himalayas. This trek will take you through the rugged trails of the Khumbu region — from the top of Cho La Pass to the foothills of the world’s highest massifs.
Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is among the most challenging tea house adventures in Nepal, demanding you to scale a high Himalayan pass at 5,367. This trek also guides you to two of the most famous viewpoints in the Himalayas — Kala Patthar and Gokyo Ri.
Your adventure to Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek begins with one of the most exhilarating flights from Kathmandu to Lukla. Upon landing at this mountain airstrip, you’ll be traveling across several Sherpa settlements and navigating the rugged trails before reaching the Everest Base Camp, the foothills of the world’s highest mountain. The entire route overlooks picturesque landscapes, rustic villages, chortens, mani walls, ancient monasteries, and colorful prayer flags.
Kala Pathar, at 5,643 meters, is marked as the highest elevation point in Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek. From the summit of this viewpoint, you’ll savor the 360-degree panorama of the mountains, including Nuptse, Mt. Everest, Pumori, Lingtren, and Changtse. It is also one of the best places in Khumbu to relish the sunrise and sunset over the Himalayas.
Likewise, at 5,357 meters, Gokyo Ri offers a distant sight of four 8,000-meter mountains — Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, and Makalu. You can also enjoy the glorious view of Gokyo Lakes, Gokyo Valley, and Ngozumpa Glacier from the summit of Gokyo Ri.
Similarly, other significant highlights of Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek include the exploration of Namche Bazaar, Khumjung Monastery, Everest View Hotel, Gokyo Valley, Gokyo Lakes, Ngozumpa Glacier, Tengboche Monastery, and Everest Base Camp. Along the way, you’ll get to walk under the shades of some of the highest massifs in the world, including Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, Makalu, Pumori, Nuptse, Ama Dablam, and Thamserku.
Our 18-day Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is an excellent choice for experienced and avid trekkers willing to challenge high altitudes and uneven trails. This Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek itinerary caters proper acclimatization days for a safe and adventurous experience.
Note that Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is a teahouse adventure. Therefore, the teahouses and lodges in the Everest region are considerably cozy and comfortable compared to other treks in Nepal. They provide all the necessary services, including twin rooms, meals, WiFi hot showers, and charging facilities.
Why You’ll Love This Trek
- Fly over the Himalayas to one of the world’s most extreme airports at Lukla Airport
- Stand at the base of Mt. Everest, the world’s highest mountain
- Trudge under the shades of Mt. Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, and Makalu
- Explore the famous Sherpa Capital at Namche Bazaar
- Marvel at the epic 360-degree mountain panorama from Kala Patthar
- Get a glimpse of Khumbu Glacier and Khumbu Icefall
- Visit the largest monastery of the Khumbu region at Tengboche
- Stand at the shore of pristine Gokyo Lakes
- Hike up to Gokyo Ri
- Cross over the high Himalayas pass at Cho La Pass
- Witness the rustic lifestyle and unique culture of Sherpas
Is Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek Right For You?
- Bear in mind that Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is not a luxurious holiday package! On this trek, you’ll be reaching the maximum elevation point at 5,643 meters at Kala Patthar. Besides, you’ll also be navigating one of the high Himalayas passes of the Khumbu region at 5,367 meters. Therefore, this trek demands not only physical fitness but also requires mental preparedness.
So, make sure to train and prepare well before the trek. This trek is especially suitable for avid and experienced trekkers who have prior trekking experience in the Himalayas. However, if you’re a first-time trekker, we suggest you go for a relatively less strenuous trek in either Everest or Annapurna region.
- In the entire 18-days of Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek, you’ll be walking the rugged trails of the Himalayas for 15 days in total. On average, it is mandatory to walk about five to six hours each day on this trek. If you’re confident that you have what it takes to tackle this challenge, you’ll certainly be able to pull this through.
We recommend you put adequate time and effort before you pack your bags and head to the Himalayas. It is advisable to engage in cardio-oriented activities and go for short hikes around the city to keep you moving.
- On the Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek, you will be gaining around 300 to 900-meter altitude every day. Commencing the adventure at the elevation of 2,840 meters at Lukla, you’ll traverse up to 5,643 meters at Kala Patthar. This significant altitudinal variation possesses a massive threat of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) on the upper reaches of the trek. Therefore, before heading to the mountains, make sure that your body and mind can handle such a massive altitude gain.
Even if you are an experienced trekker, we advise you to stay cautious and take all the necessary precautions to minimize high altitude sickness. Always walk at the most comfortable pace and drink as much water to keep yourself hydrated.
- When it comes to high altitude treks like Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek, it is always better to prepare for the worst. Keep in mind that the weather in the Himalayas is unpredictable, especially in the upper regions of the trek. You’ll have a tough time anticipating when you might have to bear the terrible weather while navigating the high pass of the Khumbu region.In the upper reaches of the trek, you might also come across extremely cold, heavy showers, or even snowfalls in the worst case. Make sure to stay aware of such situations and make all the necessary preparation to tackle them.
Even if you’re trekking during the autumn or spring season, you should wear enough layers to tackle the cold and carry weather protection gear for harsh weather. Although these seasons have the ideal weather conditions, you never know when your luck might run out in the mountains.
- Note that Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is not as luxurious as your days in the city. The 15 days in the mountains are likely to be tough and slightly uncomfortable. During the trek, you’ll be spending your night at the Everest region’s local tea houses. Although the tea houses in Everest only provide basic amenities, they are far more comfortable and standard than the teahouses of other regions.
The Everest region’s tea houses mostly provide cozy twin-shared rooms, warm blankets, delicious food, WiFi, charging facilities, and hot showers. So, if you can adjust to these conditions, this trek is ideal for you.
Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek – Outline itinerary
|Day||Description||Altitude (Meters)||Trekking Duration|
|1||Arrival in Kathmandu. Meet at Airport and Transfer to Hotel||1350||-|
|2||Morning Flight to Lukla (2,840m) and Trek to Phakding||2610||4 hours|
|3||Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar||3440||6 hours|
|4||Acclimatization Day at Namche Bazaar||3440||-|
|5||Trek from Namche Bazaar to Tengboche||3860||5 hours|
|6||Trek from Tengboche to Dingboche||4410||5 hours|
|7||Acclimatization Day at Dingboche||4410||-|
|8||Trek from Dingboche to Lobuche||4910||4.5 hours|
|9||Trek from Lobuche to Gorak Shep and Excursion to Everest Base Camp (5,364m)||5140||7 hours|
|10||Morning Hike to Kala Patthar (5,643m) and Trek to Lobuche||4910||7 hours|
|11||Trek from Lobuche to Dzongla||4940||4 hours|
|12||Trek from Dzongla to Gokyo Valley via Cho La Pass (5,367m)||4800||8 hours|
|13||Hike to Gokyo Ri (5,357m/17,570ft) and Return Back to Gokyo Valley||4800||4 hours|
|14||Trek from Gokyo Valley to Dole||4110||7 hours|
|15||Trek from Dole to Namche Bazaar||3440||6 hours|
|16||Trek from Namche Bazaar to Lukla||2840||6 hours|
|17||Fly from Lukla to Kathmandu||1350||40 mins|
- You should always be cautious about high altitude while trekking to Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek. Remember, you’ll be trekking up to 5,643 meters at Kala Pathar and crossing Cho La Pass at 5,367 meters on Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek. Traversing through such a high altitude possesses a serious risk of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). Not only that, but you’ll be spending 10 nights above 3,500 meters.Sleepover above 3,500 meters possesses maximum possibilities of high altitude sickness if you do not stay cautious. So, we highly advise you to take it slow and walk at the most comfortable pace. It is also advisable to drink at least 4-liters of water each day to stay hydrated and reduce the risk of AMS.
- Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is hands down one of the most challenging treks in the Himalayas of Nepal. On this trek, you’ll be navigating a high pass of the Khumbu region. Some sections of the trail are perilous along the way as you’ll have to walk through glacial paths, moraines, and rocky terrains.Not only that, but you’ll be walking up to 5,643 meters at Kala Patthar and 5,357 meters at Gokyo Ri. Therefore, it is mandatory to have travel insurance before trekking to Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek. Make sure to buy a policy covering all the necessary expenses above 6,000 meters, including helicopter evacuation, accident, medical charges, trip cancelation, and theft.
- As one of the most strenuous trekking destinations, Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek is likely to test your endurance. This trek will challenge both your physical fitness as well as your mental strength. Therefore, it is important to do proper training and preparation before the trek.Instead of heading straight to the Himalayas, it is advisable to engage in cardio-related workouts, such as swimming, running, biking, and jogging at least one month before the trek. We recommend you go for a short hike in the nearby destination around your hometown to get used to rugged terrains and break your boots.
- Bear in mind that your trekking guide/leader will be the in-charge of the trek in case of any emergencies. The guide will be fully liable to make the required changes during such circumstances, be it in the itinerary or day-to-day plans. If the trekking guide notices any health issues, accidents, or unforeseeable situations, they will instantly make the required alterations to ensure your safety.
- Nobody likes to run out of money in the middle of their adventure in the remote mountains. So, carry adequate cash for your personal expenses in the Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek! You can find tons of ATM lounges and credit card services in Kathmandu and Namche Bazaar. But beyond Namche Bazaar, you will not find any ATM service throughout the trek. Therefore, it is best to dispense as much cash as necessary for the trek in Kathmandu itself.
While you may also dispense the cash in Namche Bazaar, ATM and credit card services may not always be reliable, given the circumstances and geographic location. If you have any foreign currency, it is advisable to exchange them in local cash in Kathmandu or Namche Bazaar. Note that most teahouses in the upper reaches of Everest do not accept foreign currency.
- Carry a universal travel adapter! Make sure to carry a universal travel adaptor to charge your mobile phone, camera, go pro, or any other electronic appliances while on the trek. Usually, the teahouses in the Himalayas use Type C Plug for charging sockets. These charging sockets may not be compatible with the adapter of your devices. If you do not carry an adapter, you may not be able to charge your phone, camera, or other electronic devices.
- Remember, not every teahouse and lodge in the Everest region has access to hydroelectricity. Most tea houses in the upper reaches of Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek are solar-powered. In these regions, electricity may not always be reliable. Therefore, we recommend carrying a portable charger or solar power bank to charge your electronic devices.
- While packing your bags for the trek, we recommend you carry a copy of your passport and a few passport-sized photographs. You may need these documents while obtaining the trekking permits at Lukla and Monjo.
Required Permit for Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek
For Gokyo Chola Pass via EBC Trek, you’ll need to acquire two different permits — Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit and Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit.
Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit
Where to obtain: Lukla and National Park Entrance Gate in Monjo
How much does it cost: NPR 2,000 per person
Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit
Where to obtain: Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu and National Park Entrance Gate in Monjo
How much does it cost: NPR 3,000 per person